Special needs and arrangements for your test
- Our official IELTS test centres can help if you have visual, hearing, speaking or learning difficulties. If you need a modified version of IELTS, please give the test centre three months’ notice.
- If special arrangements (for example, extra time) need to be made then please give the test centre six weeks' notice.
- Your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any disability or special needs that you may have.
- What do special arrangements include?
- braille papers
- special Listening CD with necessary stops and pauses
- lip-reading version of the Listening test
- enlarged print or Speaking task cards in Braille.
What sort of help can I get?
If you have a visual impairment, we can provide:
- enlarged print
- Braille test papers
- an amanuensis to write the answers for you.
If you have hearing difficulties, we can offer:
- special amplification equipment
- a lip-reading version of the Listening module.
If you have dyslexia, we can arrange:
- extra time for the Reading and Writing tests.
- Please contact your local test centre as soon as possible if you have special needs that may require a modified IELTS test version.
- Tell your centre if you have special requirements
- In order to ensure that the language ability of all test takers is assessed fairly and objectively, IELTS provides a comprehensive service for test takers who have special requirements, including specific learning difficulties, hearing difficulties, visual difficulties, medical conditions or infant feeding.
- If you require a modified version of the test, for example a Large Print or Braille version, you must give the test centre three months’ notice.
- This notice period is necessary for the modified test version to be prepared.
- If your circumstances require special administrative arrangements to be made, for example if you need extra time or you need to use access technology such as a screen reader, you must give the test centre six weeks’ notice.
- Special requirementModified version of testExamples
Notice period required3 months
- Braille paper
- Modified large papers
- Enlarged written prompts on the Speaking task card
- Special Listening test
- Lip reading version of Listening test
- Special requirementSpecial administrative arrangementsExamples
Notice period required6 weeks
- Extra time
- Special amplification equipment
- Word processing software
- Voice-activated software
Please contact your test centre to discuss your requirements.
Any special arrangements agreed are in accordance with the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ).