To support efforts to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in Hong Kong, the British Council in Hong Kong is postponing all tests and exams from now until 23 February 2020 inclusive, with immediate effect.
All tests takers affected by the postponement can apply for a full refund or defer their test to a future date in the next 3 months free of charge. Please contact us at Examinations@britishcouncil.org.hk to make your alternative arrangements.
We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause, but please be assured that your health and safety is our top priority.
All four sections of computer-delivered IELTS are completed on the same day. The Listening, Reading and Writing sections of paper-based IELTS are completed on the same day. The order in which these tests are taken may vary. There are no breaks between these three tests. The Speaking test, however, can be completed up to a week before or after the other tests.
We are committed to making sure that IELTS is available to everyone. If you have a special requirement, please register for IELTS on paper, as this format is available worldwide, and caters to all test takers regardless of need. If you select IELTS on computer, you will use a different registration system, and we will not be able to complete registration process.
Please choose the option you are most comfortable with: paper-based or computer-delivered.
What is new about computer-delivered IELTS?
- Faster results – your IELTS results will be available 5-7 days after the test
- More test sessions – test sessions available throughout the week
- More Speaking test timeslots - speaking timeslots available on the same day
- Last-minute test registration – registration will only close 4 days before the test date, subject to seats availability
- Marking – Reading and Listening sections will be auto-marked by computers while the Speaking test will remain to be graded by a trained IELTS examiner
- Listening test - headphones will be provided
What remains the same?
- Price HK$2,090
- Question types
- Level of difficulty
- Scoring from 1 (non-user) to 9 (expert user)
- Recognition by over 10,000 organisations worldwide
- Face-to-face Speaking test – conducted and assessed by a trained IELTS examiner