Back to top

Achieve your dream of working in the UK

New Graduate Immigration Route

Date: October 2019

The New Graduate Immigration Route: achieve your dream of working in the UK

The UK Government introduced a graduate immigration route in September 2019, which allows you, as an international student, to stay and work in the UK for two years after you have received your degree from sponsoring institutions.

Prepare for and sit the IELTS exam with British Council to take full advantage of this new route. At British Council, we provide IELTS candidates with professional services and quality online preparation resources and facilities in order for you to ace your IELTS exams, which is necessary for a UK Student Visa and moves you closer to achieving your dreams of studying and working abroad.

When does the graduate immigration route come into effect?

If you are entering the UK for the 2020-21 academic year intake, you are likely to be eligible for this route.

Can I study at any institution to take advantage of this route?

To take advantage of this route, you will need to study at an institution with a track record of compliance with the Home Office’s immigration rules. For a list of licensed sponsors, please visit the UK Government website.

What happens if I don’t get a job immediately after graduating?

The new route allows you to spend two years working or looking for work. Even if you don’t have a specific job lined up after you graduate, you will have a significant amount of time to find employment.

Can I change jobs during the two-year period after I graduate?

Yes. If you find work that is better suited to your skills during this two-year period, you will be permitted to switch employers.

Do I have to find work relating to my field of study?

Not necessarily. You may wish to initially explore work opportunities not directly related to your field of study to support yourself while you build your professional network and look for jobs that are better suited to your skill set and passions.

Does this rule only apply to undergraduate level degrees?

The new route will be open to international students who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above.

Do I need to apply for the graduate immigration route and pay a fee?

You will need to complete an application (including a fee) and pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. The exact fee will be set out in due course.

Is the graduate immigration route extendable?

The route is non-extendable and does not count towards settlement. However, if you find an appropriate job within the two-year window and meet the Home Office’s requirements, you can begin your route to settlement.

Register a UKVI test with us now!