Who can apply?
The British Council IELTS Prize (East Asia)* enables individuals to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in their chosen course of study at any university that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements. We consider applicants from all walks of life and therefore do not restrict the IELTS Prize to any one particular discipline or destination. What the selection panel is more interested in is the applicant’s aspirations and motivation to grow and, in turn, contribute to society.
To be eligible for the IELTS Prize, applicants must:
- be a permanent resident in one of the countries/territories in the East Asia region*
- begin undergraduate or postgraduate studies at degree level in academic year 2019/20
- attend a higher educational institution that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements
- register for an IELTS test with the British Council on, or after, 1 April 2019 and be able to produce a valid IELTS score as part of their application for the prize
- have a minimum band score of 6 in each of the four component parts of the test
- be able to provide a Letter of Acceptance from the host university by 2 July 2020.
The process of selecting IELTS Prize winners takes approximately three months from the application deadline. Check out an overview of the application and selection process.
Meet our winners
Winners of the British Council IELTS Prize (East Asia)2018/19 have embarked on their journey to pursue the chosen course of study at their dream university. Explore more in the alumni section.
* Eligible countries/territories include: Hong Kong & Macau, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
Haven't taken IELTS?
Apply for IELTS Prize