Essential eligibility criteria are that applicants must:
- Be a permanent resident in one of the above countries/regions in the East Asia region *
- Begin undergraduate or postgraduate study in academic year 2018/19
- Attend a higher educational institution that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements
- Register for an IELTS test with the British Council on or after 1 April 2017 and be able to produce a valid IELTS score in the application form
- Have a minimum band score of 6 in each of the four component parts of the test
- Be able to provide an acceptance letter from the attending institution by 2 July 2018
- Register for an IELTS test at a British Council authorised centre on or after 1 April 2017 and obtain a valid score.
- Complete an online application form and upload required documents by 6 p.m. local time on 30 April 2018.
- Required documents include:
- IELTS Test Report Form
- Recent photograph
- Passport or identification document proofing your permanent residency in one of the eligible countries/regions
- Disability certificate (if applicable)
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend a panel interview in May 2018 for the Local Prize. Please be advised that only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
- The applicant with the top interview score in each country will automatically be qualified for the Regional Prize selection and will be required to attend a second panel interview in June 2018.
- Winners will be notified by June 2018 and must be able to provide a letter of acceptance from the institution by 2 July 2018. Failure to provide a letter of acceptance by the deadline will result in your immediate removal from the list of winners.
Shortlisting will be carried out by a panel of British Council staff. The panel will use the personal statement on the application form for shortlisting purposes so applicants should carefully check the task completion criteria on the application form. All applicants with a disability will automatically be shortlisted provided that they meet essential eligibility criteria. The final winning students will be chosen by a panel of senior managers and/or external raters from the higher education and/or corporate sectors. The panel will decide on the Local Prize winners based on a presentation and interview.
The top student in each country will automatically be qualified to compete for the Regional Prizes in East Asia, where they will need to attend a further interview with a regional panel via video conferencing in June 2018. Students will only be awarded one prize. Regional Prize winners will not get the Local Prize at the same time.
The personal statement is your chance to tell your story and is crucial in the selection process. It should describe your reasons for applying for a particular course and in what ways you expect your study experience to make a difference to your life and those around you. Write in no more than 500 words.
* Eligible countries/regions include: Hong Kong & Macau, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
In case of dispute, British Council reserves the right to make the final decision.
Haven't taken IELTS? Register now